All our Topponcinos are made of 100% natural cotton, and thus require a little bit of love and attention, or they may shrink and/or pill.
Preparing Your New Topponcino
To properly prepare the Topponcino and to create the easiest transition for your baby, it is highly recommended that, before your baby is born, you:
Wash the Topponcino cover with your own clothes and detergents
By adding the cover to a load of your clothes, you will begin the acclimation process, allowing the cover to absorb your family's unique smells. It is best if you use the same exact soaps you plan on using after your baby is born so they will associate with that as well.
Sleep with the Topponcino in your bed for 2 weeks (ideally)
Similar to above, this will allow the Topponcino to absorb the smell of you, the baby’s parents, and comfort your child with your familiar scent. Anywhere you have it in your bed will have your smells. Families have used it under their pillow, in their pillow case, in-between their blanket/sheets, down by their feet, in-between them and their partner, rolled up to support their leg or belly. The best way for you to sleep with it is whatever way is most comfortable for you!
If you have any questions about preparation, please contact us here. We are happy to help in any way possible.
Washing Your Topponcino
- Cover: It gets softer over time! But it could also shrink if washed or dried with too much heat. Machine wash cold with like colors. Tumble Dry Low.
- Insert: The internal batting is 100% cotton and is designed to trap heat and smells. It will also bunch up if washed in a machine. Spot clean by hand as needed with a damp white washcloth. Lay flat to dry.
***Special Note: Some city water, and some well water, sources are heavy in minerals and may darken or discolor the pillow's special fabric. If this happens, please hand wash again with a distilled white vinegar solution to reduce this discoloration. Ratio = 4 water : 1 distilled white vinegar
Deep Cleaning Your Topponcino Insert
- Fill a clean bathtub, or large sink, with a few inches of cold water and a splash of liquid detergent.
- Fully submerge your Topponcino in the soapy water.
- Gently agitate for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the soapy water, and refill with fresh water.
- Gently press on the Topponcino to squeeze out the soap.
- Repeat the rinsing process until the water is suds-free.
- Sandwich your wet Topponcino between two dry towels and roll up the "Topponcino sandwich" to squeeze out the majority of the moisture.
- Unroll and air dry on a flat rack or on a thick bed of towels.
- Once nearly dry, lay your Topponcino outside on a sunny day for freshness and natural disinfecting.
- Optional: If the internal batting shrunk a little, hold an edge and flap like you are shaking out a rug. Continue for each of the 4 sides. You can also use your hands to help smooth it out like you are spreading dough.
Most parents get two covers so they can use one while the other is soiled or in the wash.